Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My old folks make me smile...

I've been working at an assisted living facility in Orem since November because I knew my research job would stop in December when I graduated. I needed some sort of income since I was unemployable as a nurse until after I could take the NCLEX in February. And even then we didn't know yet where Craig would be accepted for grad school...so I was sort of stuck and needed some income. I'm currently working as a nursing assistant until I can move away to the grad school location, get a job as an RN, then Craig will follow when he graduates in April (that story to come later).

Anyway...I LOVE the little people I take care of. Sure, there are bad days, but almost always one of them says something that just sends me into a giggle fit. Sometimes they realize they are funny and sometimes they don't. Here are some of the latest funnies from my folks.


While walking down the hall and tooting with each step for about 4 steps on a row R says, "I'm jet propelled today. Too bad it won't make me go any faster."

After seeing the Progressive insurance commercial where Flo is dreaming about a squirrel picnic A says, "We're all just happy squirrels, aren't we?"

R pushed his call light from the bathroom after he had been in there for a few minutes. When I asked him if he was finished he replied as he was reaching for the toilet paper, "Yep. Just some paperwork to do."

One of the other aids was helping J put her brief back on after using the bathroom and it ripped in half. J, who is usually very serious and straight faced, started laughing so hard that tears were rolling down her face.

At dinner...
D: How have you been sleeping lately, G?
G: Not very well. I keep waking up in the night.
R: If you're having trouble falling asleep I'd be happy to come rock you.
G: Oh, I ought to spank you!

And Finally..... R told me this joke the other day and I just about died.
Bear 1: Have you ever eaten a baby human? What do they taste like?
Bear 2: Yes I have. They're very tender and taste sweet.
Bear 1: How about a teenager?
Bear 2: Oh, I don't like them very much. They're too bitter and feisty.
Bear 1: How about an old person?
Bear 2: Yeah, I've had those.
Bear 1: What do they taste like?
 Bear 2: Oh..... Depends.

I hope you enjoyed them as much as I do. :)

1 comment: